Ashford Lawn Tennis Club was formed in 1914.
The following is an extract from a brief history written around 1938 which shows some of the development of the club in its early days:
The Club was launched on 30th March 1914 with a membership then limited to 24.
Two courts were at first rented from the Athletic Association but in spite of many members being away on active service the Club prospered and three courts were necessary in 1917 and five in 1918.
In 1925 the Club was offered its present ground with space for 13 courts – three hard courts were laid and six grass courts prepared.
In 1926 a small Pavilion was erected and subsequently sold to the Sports Club but full use of the Main Sports Club Pavilion was retained for the many social functions run. Two additional grass courts were added for the use of the junior section.
Three hard courts and three grass courts are still in use and three additional courts are being prepared for next season. The present playing membership is 95 and in addition there are about 20 vice-presidents.
The Club is affiliated to the Middlesex Lawn Tennis Association.
Some photos from the 1960s to the 1990s
If you have any photos from around this time, do please let us know as we’d love to add them!
Recent History of the Club
For a long period up to the 1960s, the tennis club had six shale courts but in order to play all year round, one court was made all weather in the 1970’s and in the 1980’s two more courts were converted to all weather surface.
In 1986, the club erected floodlights on two of the all weather courts, which in 1998 were extended to the third all weather court. In 1990, the club’s traditional wooden clubhouse was replaced by the present bar, clubhouse and changing rooms.
Due to the increasing growth of the club it became clear that six courts were not enough and in the autumn of 1999 the club arranged for three new all weather floodlit courts to be built. These were financed through a combination of grants, loans and through club funds. The three new floodlit courts were opened in Autumn 2000.
The three shale courts were replaced with artificial clay in 2012, a surface which has proved very popular amongst most members. Such was the success of these courts that three of the hard courts were also converted to artificial clay in 2016.
Some photos from the 2000s to present day